Friday, June 5, 2009

Molecular Gastronomy on Broad St.

Besides the food at Broad Appetit, I am most interested in the molecular gastronomy demo. It was meant to describe the scientific discipline involving the study of physical and chemical processes that occur in cooking and the mechanisms behind the transformation of ingredients in cooking and the social, artistic and technical components of culinary and gastronomic phenomena.


The term molecular gastronomy has since been adopted to describe a new style of cooking in which some chefs explore new possibilities in the kitchen by embracing science, research, technological advances in equipment and various natural gums and hydrocolloids produced by the commercial food processing industry. Though used to describe the food and cooking of a number of famous chefs, many of them do not accept the term as a description of their style of cooking. Nueva Cocina, Culinary Constructivism, Avant-Garde Cuisine, and Techno-Emotional Cuisine are among the other names used to represent the style of cuisine. The term molecular gastronomy continues to be used as no singular name has ever been applied in consensus.



I have seen the techniques demonstrated on shows like Iron Chef America. Being a chemist by profession, I am familiar with using immersion circulators, vacuums, and liquid nitrogen in a laboratory setting, but would not have a clue how to use them in cooking. Anybody know where can I pick up my liquid nitrogen griddle? If there is a chance for audience participation, you will find me up front going, "Ooh me, me, me!"


No comments:

Post a Comment